Home » Rangers gain another three points
Sport Swansea

Rangers gain another three points

Photo by Bernie Ford

Mumbles Rangers gained another three valuable league points in this close encounter against Cardiff Draconians on Saturday (Nov 19).

Rangers started this home game well and for the first twenty minutes were playing some neat football. Swansea City Manager Russell Martin was amongst those watching on in the main stand.

He like the rest of the crowd must have been impressed when Rangers took a deserved lead after 24 minutes. Rangers striker Elliot Smith collected the ball and weaved his way through the Draconians defence and angled his cross shot into the opponents goal net. It was a fine solo effort with a quality finish 1-0.

For the latter twenty plus minutes Rangers seemed to go into slumber mode and the Draconians took full advantage when Rangers defence became wide open and Luke Hanlon slotted an equaliser for his team 1-1.

The Draconians were dictating play and it suited them to disrupt the flow of the game and have Rangers on the back foot. Draconians tactics paid off just before half time when Adam Rees breached the Rangers defence to score the opponents second goal of the game 1-2.

Mumbles Rangers needed to up their game in the second half but for the first half hour it was the Draconians who were creating the best chances.

They should have extended their lead but couldn’t find the finishes needed. In fact they hit the post and forced a good save from Rangers goalkeeper Sam Goodwin.

With fifteen minutes plus stoppage time remaining, Rangers moved up the gears and their passing game started to make headway in their attacking play.

In the 79th minute Rangers flyer Taylor Smith broke free and raced forward and found himself one on one against the Draconian’s goalkeeper and he picked his spot and fired home an equaliser for Rangers 2-2.

It was all Rangers now as the intensity of the game increased. Two minutes from normal time Rangers were awarded a free kick some thirty yards out from goal and a little way in from the touch line. Up stepped Elliot Smith who struck the free kick with such ferocity that the ball flew into the top of the Draconian’s goal net giving the opponents defensive wall and goalkeeper no chance of stopping the stunning strike. It was a real contender for goal of the season.

The Draconians to their credit tried to come back at Rangers but some good defending protected the home sides lead. After a lengthy period of stoppage time the referee blew the final whistle and Rangers celebrated their victory.