An MS has welcomed a “positive development” in the efforts to retain GP services in the Conwy Valley.
Llŷr Gruffydd, who represents North Wales in the Senedd, has called for Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board to ensure that at least the ‘same level of provision is maintained” for patients of Betws y Coed GP practice.
Locals would face a potential 36 mile round trip to visit the GP if the practice shut its doors in April 2024.Llŷr Gruffydd MS, Conwy County Councillor Liz Roberts, representatives of Llais North Wales and Betws y Coed Community Council, held a public meeting with bosses of the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board on Monday 8th January at the Memorial Hall in Betws y Coed.
Following the meeting, the health board has said that it has received responses to its tender seeking new GMS Contractors to take on the GP as well as the medicine dispensing service in Betws y Coed.
Llŷr Gruffydd MS, of Plaid Cymru, said: “Local residents were understandably very concerned when they heard the news that that doctors at Betws y Coed GP practice were bringing their contract to an end in April 2024.
“The loss of this GP practice would have a hugely detrimental impact on the community that relies on it.
“The potential alternatives that had previously been mentioned to existing patients were travelling to Cerrigydrudion or Llanrwst.
“Neither of these options are accessible for many of the current practice’s patients, who live over a wide geographical area.
“When looking at the provision of primary care services it is also important to take the influx of visitors to Eryri throughout the year into consideration.
“It is therefore vital that Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board does all that it can recruit a new contractor to at least ensure that at least the same level of provision is maintained.
“I am relieved to hear that Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board has received responses to its tender seeking new GMS Contractors to take on the GP as well as the medicine dispensing service in Betws y Coed.
“I understand that the health board will undertake an initial review of the tender responses shortly and that a shortlisting panel will then formally review and determine which contractors will be invited for interview.
“This is a positive development and I hope that the health board will be able to move forward quickly and let the contract to a new partnership.
“I hope to see firm plans put in place soon to ensure the continuity of services that this community needs and deserves.”