Home » Amman overturn half time deficit to beat Llangadog
Carmarthenshire Sport West Wales

Amman overturn half time deficit to beat Llangadog

DIVISION 3 West B leaders Amman United got out of jail on their trip to a wet and soggy Llangadog Community field on Thursday evening (Mar 16), overturning a 10-0 half time deficit to edge a nervy victory.

Their unbeaten record had looked in severe jeopardy up until the final minutes against a dogged home side who played really well.

Driving rain prevailed throughout, though the pitch was in remarkable condition after the days of deluge, and in a game of two halves, Llangadog took it to the leaders early on,dominating largely, and having the best in the scrums,winning good territory and possession.

A typical Alun Lewis power tackle seemed to change the momentum as Amman settled down, but they fell behind after 20 minutes as Llan took a deserved lead when from an attacking up and under, United crucially let the ball bounce, and centre Rhys Thomas pounced to gather and race in for the try, which outside half Daf Jenkins converted.

In worsening conditions, errors were plenty on both sides as passes went down; the home side lost forward Telor Dyer to injury as the Reds came back into it;scrum half Alex Williams was often the catalyst with his snipes, and after numerous pick-and-goes, with Chris Rees, Craig Ratcliff, Sean Mangan and George Clarke all having a go, they were unable to break a stubborn home rearguard.

Llangadog added a Daf Jenkins penalty before the break to take a fully deserved 10-0 lead.

The leaders managed to up their game in the second half and began to dominate large periods; Alun Lewis and Sean Mangan made some good yards, and from a scrum deep in the home 22, the ball seemed to squirt out somehow and backrow man Tom Thorneycroft picked up to stride in unchallenged for the try.

Llangadog were still looking confident and comfortable at times, and United were struggling to penetrate an up-for-it defence. With 20 minutes to go, Amman were awarded a penalty,and outside half Iestyn Griffiths slotted over.

Relentless pressure in the final stages forced another penalty with some ten minutes to go near the halfway line; Griffiths smacked over a superb long range effort to give his side the lead for the first time.

The home side never gave up and were attacking to the death; the fact that with the last play, Amman gratefully kicked a penalty straight to touch just showed how relieved they were to grab victory from the jaws of defeat against a Llangadog side who will feel unlucky not to have caused the surprise.

online casinos UK

Amman’s next fixture is at home against Furnace United on Saturday, March 25, and, on the same day, Llangadog travel to Llandeilo.