Hywel Dda University Health Board (UHB) will hold a second public engagement event to give people an opportunity to discuss their views on the long-term future of General Practice (GP) services for the patients of Cross Hands and Tumble Surgery with the health board.
This follows the resignation of their General Medical Services Contract by the Partners of the Cross Hands and Tumble Surgery in Carmarthenshire, effective at the end of March 2024.
Following the drop-in event in Tumble Hall on 8 November, a second drop-in public engagement event will now be held between 3pm and 6pm on Tuesday 21 November 2023 at Cross Hands Working Men’s Club, 41 Llandeilo Road, Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire Wales, SA14 6RD (near Lidl).
Jill Paterson, Director of Primary Care, Community and Long-Term Care for Hywel Dda UHB, said: “The Partners have tried unsuccessfully to recruit an additional GP or Advanced Practitioner to join their busy practice, but have been unable to do so.
“Unfortunately, they have decided that the resignation of their GMS contract is their only remaining option.
“Since that decision was announced, my team have been working with the Practice, members of the Amman and Gwendraeth GP Cluster, Llais and other key stakeholders, to identify options for the future of GP services for the 7,500 registered patients.
“A panel with representation from Llais and the Local Medical Committee has identified two viable options to continue the delivery of General Medical Services to the local Community and we are focused on developing these options. Either the Contract will be retendered to find another Provider, or the patient list will be redistributed among neighbouring GP practices by the Health Board.
“Before any final decision can be made, the Health Board needs to listen to the views and concerns of patients. This process began on 30 October and will close on 26 November 2023 and we are keen to hear from as many patients as possible.”
Members of the public can have their say by:
- Attending the drop-in event on Tuesday 21 November 2023, between 3 and 6pm (drop-in anytime) at Cross Hands Working Men’s Club, 41 Llandeilo Road, Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire Wales, SA14 6RD (near Lidl).
- Completing a questionnaire: collection boxes for questionnaires are available at the Cross Hands and Tumble Surgery. Patients can also return them by posting to FREEPOST HYWEL DDA HEALTH BOARD
- Calling 0300 303 8322 and selecting option 5 for ‘other services’.
- Emailing [email protected]
- Responding to the online questionnaire hosted on the Hywel Dda University Health Board’s Have Your Say / Dweud eich Dweud website www.haveyoursay.hduhb.wales.nhs.uk
- Providing feedback direct to Llais at Suite 5, 1st Floor, Ty Myrddin, Old Station Road, Carmarthen SA31 1LP, calling 01646 697610 or emailing [email protected]
Llais, the patient voice organisations for Wales is supporting the engagement process and will be in attendance at the public event, alongside members of the Hywel Dda Primary Care team and members of the Amman and Gwendraeth GP Cluster.