Home » Courageous teacher ‘disarmed teenager’ in school stabbing incident
Carmarthenshire Crime Crime National News

Courageous teacher ‘disarmed teenager’ in school stabbing incident

A TEACHER with over 40 years of experience is being hailed for swiftly intervening and disarming a teenager following a stabbing incident at a school in Ammanford. Darrel Campbell, with four decades of teaching under his belt, was the first responder to the tense and chaotic scene, where two teachers and a student had been stabbed at Amman Valley School.

The tumultuous events unfolded on Wednesday, thrusting Amman Valley School, also known as Ysgol Dyffryn Aman, in Carmarthenshire, into lockdown shortly after 11.20 am, right after the morning break. Despite the alarming nature of the incident, the injuries sustained by the two teachers and the teenage pupil were reported as non-life-threatening, as confirmed by Dyfed-Powys Police, who swiftly responded to the crisis. Moreover, a knife was recovered from the scene.

According to Jonathan Edwards, the Independent MP for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr, the teachers were injured while attempting to aid a pupil who was under attack. Mr. Campbell, who thankfully emerged unscathed from the ordeal, was identified as the first person to arrive at the scene, as affirmed by his brother Cefin Campbell, the Plaid Cymru’s Member of the Senedd for Mid & West Wales.

Reflecting on his brother’s courageous actions, Cefin Campbell spoke to BBC Radio Wales on Thursday, April 25, stating, “He has been a teacher there for 40 years. He was the first at the scene. He had to deal with a very stressful, chaotic situation. He did what most people would do and tried to calm things and restrain people from making the situation worse.” He further added, “There is a sense of disbelief, but there is also a sense that this community will provide support. We are close-knit and resilient.”

As the situation unfolded, two teachers were hospitalised, one of whom has since been discharged with injuries to the arm and hand, while the other has been transferred to Cardiff for further treatment. Consequently, the school remained under lockdown for several hours until pupils were permitted to depart around 3.20 pm. Furthermore, as a precautionary measure, the school remained closed on Thursday to facilitate the ongoing investigation conducted by the police.

Head teacher James Durbridge commended both staff and students for their composed and mature response during the lockdown, expressing his gratitude in a message posted on the school’s website. Meanwhile, outside the school gates, parents anxiously awaited news, their relief palpable as they tearfully embraced their children upon their safe return.

In the aftermath, investigators clad in white forensic attire meticulously examined the school premises, with police presence evident both at the main entrance and in the surrounding streets. Authorities have urged the removal of any footage circulating on social media to prevent further distress to those involved and have appealed to the public to refrain from speculation while the investigation unfolds.