Home » Llangwm seal first Harrison Allen Bowl since 1993

Llangwm seal first Harrison Allen Bowl since 1993

LLANGWM claimed their first Harrison Allen Bowl title since 1993 on Saturday (Aug 27) as they beat Haverfordwest in the final.

A good crowd gathered in Cresselly for the game and they witnessed an excellent final between two good teams.

Llangwm held an 81-run lead after the first innings and following Town’s second innings, Llangwm needed 81 to win the game.

Haverfordwest took a couple of early wickets but Llangwm held their nerve to win the bowl.

On a bright day, Haverfordwest won the toss and chose to bat first and they made a good start early on with Adam James and Mikey Jones sharing 35 runs.

Joe Phillips made the breakthrough for Llangwm as he had James caught by Chris Inward.

Town then lost three quick wickets as firstly Jones, who had hit three fours and two sixes in a score of 26 from 16 balls, was caught by Kiff off the bowling of Phillips.

Noah Davies then had Ben Field caught by Steven Mills and he also caught and bowled Jake Merry to reduce Town to 44-4.

Phillips then claimed his third wicket as he had Dai Davies caught by Steven Inward before Chris Inward had Chris Phillips caught by Steven again, on a score of 11.

That saw Town slip to 58-6 as their progress stalled.

Archie Thomas and Jack Scriven steadied the ship as they put on 45 runs for the seventh wicket.

Thomas hit a six in his score of 13 but he was then caught by Joseph Kiff off the bowling of Steven Mills.

Ashley James hit two fours as he scored 12 but he was then run out as Town looked to up their total.

Johnny White was also run out before, Scriven, who had hit four fours in his score of 40, was ran out by James Lewis.

That brought their innings to a close with their score reading 126-all out.

Llangwm started their reply well, Steven Inward and Joe Kiff sharing 44 runs for the first wicket.

Inward scored 13 but he was then caught behind by Jack Scriven off the bowling of Archie Thomas.

Kiff and Steven Mills then added another 62 runs for the second wicket as they edged closer to putting their side into the lead.

There had been a huge shout for a caught behind but nothing was given and the pair continued to put runs on the board.

Mills also had a reprieve on 20 as he was brilliantly caught but it came off a no ball.

Kiff hit six fours and two sixes as he reached his 50. He then hit a seventh four but was then bowled by Johnny White.

Matthew Kiff joined Mills in the middle and they took Llangwm into the lead as they reached 133-2 off 17 overs.

Mills then brought up his 50 but he wasn’t done there. In the 20th over, Kiff had hit another six and Mills then hit two in a row as they punished Town’s bowlers.

Kiff hit two fours and five sixes as he reached his 50 from 22 balls.

He took a single off the penultimate ball of the innings and then Mills finished off in style with another big six.

That was his fifth of the innings as he finished unbeaten on 76 fron 45 balls.

That saw Llangwm finish on 207-2 and gave them a lead of 81 runs.

Steve Mills hits another 6

Town knew they would need to bat well if they were to wipe that lead out quickly and they came out determined to do just that.

Adam James hit a big six with the second ball of the innings and then hit a 4 as Town reached 14-0 off the first over.

James then hit three fours and a six in the second over to move on to a score of 29.

However, at the end of the third over Noah Davies bowled James and Town’s danger man had gone.

Archie Thomas hit two sixes in his score of 19 but he was then run out.

Mikey Jones and Ben Field then put Town into the lead but Jones was then bowled by Chris Inward on a score of 24.

Field and Dai Davies then shared 32 runs for the fourth wicket but Field was caught by Steven Inward off the bowling of Joe Phillips.

Ashley James was then bowled by Phillips before Chris Inward had Dai Davies caught by Matthew Kiff.

Joe Phillips then caught and bowled Jack Scriven before bowling Jake Merry, leaving Town on 141-8.

Chris Phillips then hit two big sixes before being caught by Luke Brock off the bowling of Joe Phillips.

Phillips then bowled Johnny White as he finished with excellent figures of 6-41.

That meant that Town were bowled out again for 162, a lead of only 81 runs.

Joe Kiff started Llangwm’s second reply well as he hit three straight fours but he was then caught by Adam James off the bowling of Johnny White.

Mills hit two boundaries but he was trapped leg before by Adam James as Llangwm slipped to 24-2.

Soon after it was 24-3 as Steven Inward was caught by Jake Merry off the bowling of White.

Matthew Kiff was then caught by Chris Phillips off the bowling of Clive Tucker as Llangwm were reduced to 40-4.

Town had their tails up but Luke Brock and Noah Davies then steadied themselves and they were able to steer Llangwm to victory.

They took some quick singles and twos and were able to punish a bad ball.

Brock hit two sixes in his knock, one of which was dropped over the boundary, as he finished unbeaten on 27.

Davies scored 20 as Llangwm edged towards victory and a wide gave them the Bowl.

Afterwards, there were scenes of celebration amongst the Llangwm players as they celebrated a first Bowl since 1993.

Llangwm’s Joe Phillips was named as man of the match for his excellent bowling.

Umpires Allan Hansen and Glyn Cole
Man of the match Joe Phillips
Llangwm captain Matthew Kiff holds the Bowl high
Runners up Haverfordwest

More photos can be found on The Herald Sports Page