NEWTOWN boosted their hopes of European football on Friday (Mar 25) as they inflicted just a second defeat of the season on The New Saints.

Nick Rushton netted the game’s only goal in the 31st minute, taking advantage of a mix-up in the TNS defence to give the Robins a valuable three points in their bid for European football.

Newtown had the first shot at goal in the seventh minute, with Rushton hitting a free-kick over the crossbar from 25-yards out.

Six minutes later, Chris Hughes’ team were on the attack once more. On that occasion though, a Craig Williams effort from inside the box went over the target.

In the 23rd minute, The Saints had their first chance on goal. Jordan Williams went for a chip on Dave Jones from outside the box, but the goalkeeper managed to track back to deal with the effort quite comfortably.

Just before the half-hour mark, Ryan Brobbel attempted a free-kick from the edge of the box that Jones saved.

In the 31st minute, the away team took the lead. Nick Rushton got on the end of a through ball, before running into the box, and slotted the chance past the outrushing Paul Harrison.

A couple of minutes later, Adrian Cieslewicz watched an effort from 20-yards out go way wide of the Robins’ goal.

Four minutes before the break, Ben Clark got an effort away from outside the box, but Jones was equal to his opportunity.

Following the restart, Cieslewicz picked out Danny Redmond on the edge of the box, but unfortunately, the number 10’s effort went over the crossbar.

In the 57th minute, Fumpa Mwandwe almost grabbed a second for his side, but hit the side netting from inside the box.

On the hour mark, Brobbel picked out Declan McManus inside the box and the striker got his shot away. Once again though, Jones was equal to it.

In the 67th minute, the JD Cymru Premier champions were on the attack once more. Captain, Chris Marriott, played a through ball to McManus, but his effort went wide from inside the box.

Six minutes later, Redmond chipped in a ball towards Robles, but the winger hit the ball over, as Anthony Limbrick’s team continued to push for the equaliser.

The last chance for The Saints came in the 89th minute, with Ash Baker getting a header away inside the box.

It was a frustrating night for Anthony Limbrick’s team, but The Saints have the chance to put tonight’s wrong right, with a visit to Caernarfon Town’s Oval next Friday.