Home » Ammanford earn a point against Cambrian and Clydach
Carmarthenshire Sport West Wales

Ammanford earn a point against Cambrian and Clydach

Photo by Lawrence Molloy

Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD moved a point closer to League safety with a hard earned point at home to Cambrian & Clydach at the Rec on Tuesday night (Apr 4).

This fixture was completed at the third time of asking with the last match being abandoned at half time with Cambrian leading two weeks ago.

A scrappy and frenetic start saw both teams struggle to make clear cut chances early on.

Ammanford midfielder Jay Thomas tested Cambrian keeper Morgan Davies with a lob on the quarter hour mark and four minutes later Lee Trundle tried his luck from distance having spotted Davies off his line but his shot went wide of the post.

Ammanford were looking the more likely team to score and went close when Jordan Langley cut in from the left wing only to send
his shot wide with the outside of his boot.

Kieran Howard also went close with a firm shot that went just wide of the left hand post.

Ammanford were finding Davies a formidable obstacle in the Cambrian goal and he saved from Jay Thomas after the midfielder had done well to manufacture a shot at goal.

Cambrian nearly punished the home team’s inability to find the back of net when top scorer Liam Eason flashed a shot narrowly wide just before half time.

Cambrian took the lead six minutes after the break when Josh Owen was allowed the space to run unchallenged through midfield before drilling a low shot past Ammanford keeper Craig Morris into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Morgan Davies saved well from Trundle just after the hour mark when an excellent through ball from Jordan Langley found the veteran striker in space inside the area.

Davies saved again from Jordan Langley three minutes later to further frustrate the home team in their quest for an equaliser.
Ammanford perseverance paid off in the 72nd minute when the referee pointed to the penalty spot after Trundle was fouled in the area.

Matthew Fisher stepped up aiming to add to his hat trick just five days earlier but the excellent Davies dived to his left to save his spot kick, thankfully for the home team Jay Thomas was first to the rebound to gleefully lash in his first goal for the club.

Both teams went in search of a winning goal and Ammanford were grateful for the safe handling of keeper Morris in the last minute of normal time as Cambrian threatened.

As the match entered injury time Jay Thomas found himself in space to run at the Cambrian goal but was again thwarted by Davies who parried the ball away for a corner.

Euros Griffiths rose highest from the resulting corner but watched in agony as his header narrowly went wide of the far post.

Ammanford will be happy with a point against a strong Cambrian team and will be looking to add to their points tally when reigning champions Llantwit Major visit the Rec on Good Friday (7.30 pm).