Home » Newtown move clear of bottom two after six-goal thriller
Football Sport

Newtown move clear of bottom two after six-goal thriller

Nick Rushton beats four Druids players to set up Jordan Evans for their third goal of the game

NEWTOWN moved five points clear of the bottom two on Tuesday night (Mar 9) as they beat Cefn Druids 4-2 at The Rock.

All the goals came in a frantic first half as the Druids came from 2-0 to level the game, only to see Newtown retake the lead.

The scoring began in the fourth minute as Nick Rushton crossed into the box for Jordan Evans who fired in to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Ten minutes later it was 2-0 as a free kick from the left was floated in by Alex Fletcher and it was Lifumpa Yande Mwandwe who got the faintest of touches to direct the ball in to the net.

With half an hour gone the Druids were back in it as Harry Brazel robbed possession in his own half and ran to the edge of the box where he squared the ball for Niall Flint who turned neatly and shot under the Newtown keeper.

Newtown could have made it 3-1 but a good save by the Druids keeper kept his side in it.

And soon after they were back level as Joe Faux crossed to the back post where Brazel was waiting and he headed back across goal for Flint who had the easy task of tapping into the empty net.

With two minutes to go until half time, the referee waved play on after a foul on the edge of the box and it was Rushton who beat off the attentions of four Druids players before passing back to Evans who curled the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.

The scoring wasn’t finished there however, as, in injury time, Newtown won the ball back from a Druids throw-in and the ball was played to Tyrone Ofori who again beat off the attentions of the defenders to shoot low into the net.

The goals were a sucker punch for the Druids who had worked well to get themselves back in the game.

Both sides had chances to add to the scoring early in the second half but, unlike the first, defences were on top.

Ofori had another chance with just over twenty minutes to go but the Newtown player saw his shot blocked.

As the game drew to a close, there was a red card for Newtown’s Callum Roberts but that did little to affect the outcome of the game.

The visitors saw the game out to seal the three points.

On Saturday, March 13, Newtown host Cardiff Met in a 2:30pm kick off while Cefn Druids, who now sit bottom of the table, host third placed Bala Town.