Home » TNS edge past Bont to stay top
Football Sport

TNS edge past Bont to stay top

Photo by Brian Jones

THE NEW SAINTS kept up their unbeaten record under new manager Anthony Limbrick on Saturday (Apr 17) as they earned a narrow 1-0 win over Penybont at Park Hall.

It also means they remain level on points with title challengers Connah’s Quay Nomads after they also picked up the three points on Saturday.

The Bont came into the game on the back of defeat to Bala Town but did taste victory over the Nomads last Saturday.

TNS had more of the ball in the early stages but there was little in the way of goalmouth action.

The visitors won a free kick in a dangerous position on the right but TNS were able to clear, while, at the other end, an inviting cross was cleared by the Bont.

Ryan Brobbel then saw a shot blocked before Jon Routledge fired wide with twenty minutes gone.

Three minutes later, Louis Robles sent a header towards goal but it was blocked and the ball went out for a corner. They won a second corner but Ryan Astles’ header was comfortably saved by Ashley Morris.

With seven minutes to go until half time the ball was slipped through to Kostya Georgievsky but his effort was straight at TNS keeper Paul Harrison.

It was goalless at the break but the second half was just two minutes old when TNS took the lead. Ben Clark flicked the ball on for Ryan Brobbel who turned and slid the ball in for Louis Robles who slotted in to the bottom left corner.

Five minutes later, the ball was played into the box for Clark and he turned but could only watch as his shot went inches wide of the left hand post.

online casinos UK

Robles then tried his luck with a strong shot from the edge of the box but Morris did well to tip it round the post for a corner.

On the hour mark, Nathan Wood cut in from the left but his effort did not trouble Harrison in the TNS goal.

With twenty minutes to go the home side won a series of corners and from the second of those Danny Redmond headed the ball over the bar.

The hosts continued to look for a second goal and it very nearly came as a cross into the box was flicked on by Cieslewicz but the ball was cleared before anyone could get a shot away.

With TNS only holding a 1-goal lead the Bont were still very much in the game and with four minutes to go a ball was played into the box which the hosts defended well.

Simon Spender then got to the by-line for the hosts but his cross was cleared well by Billy Borge.

Four minutes of injury time were added on but the Bont were unable to find a late equaliser as TNS held out for the win.