Home » TNS seal third win in a row
Football Sport

TNS seal third win in a row

Photo by Brian Jones/ Match report by Sam Wood

THE NEW SAINTS defeated Caernarfon Town 4-1 at Park Hall on Good Friday (Apr 2), as they made it three JD Cymru Premier wins on the bounce.

Under the watchful eye of new head coach, Anthony Limberick, two goals apiece from Blaine Hudson and Ryan Brobbel proved the difference for The Saints, who ended phase one of the season in a comfortable fashion.

As with the Flint Town United fixture the previous weekend, it was a fast start by The New Saints and they found the back of the net with just seven minutes played.

A chipped ball by Ben Clark reached Blaine Hudson at the back post, where the number 12 was waiting to head the ball past Josh Tibbettts and into the Caernarfon goal. 1-0.

Tibbetts was called into action once more in the 15th minute, pulling off a smart save to deny Cieslewicz, before Ryan Brobbel struck the left post with a free-kick soon after.

Clark and Ryan Astles had further chances to add to the scoring as the half progressed, but neither Saints man was able to get that all important second goal.

However, no sooner had things got back underway following the interval and Chris Seargeant’s side did eventually double their advantage.

Some great work by Ryan Brobbel saw the Northern Ireland under-21 international beat a couple of opposing defenders inside the box, before beating the goalkeeper with a cool finish from close range in the 47th minute. 2-0

Clark had the chance to add a third for his side just after the hour mark, but his header from the edge of the six-yard box dropped the wrong side of the post.

There was controversy soon after, when the visitors had strong appeals for a penalty turned down by referee, Huw Jones in the 67th minute.

The man in the middle waved play on, and The Saints launched a counter-attack, although Adrian Cieslewicz failed to make anything of it and was disposed on the edge of the visitor’s box.

In the moments after though, Caernarfon captain, Michael Parker, was shown a straight red card for what was believed to be dissent, as he continued his protests to the referee.

Now playing with a man advantage, The Saints certainly took advantage and added their third goal of the day in the 69th minute.

It was Ryan Brobbel on the scoresheet again, as he collected and carried the ball forward on the edge of the box, before unleashing a powerful effort past Tibbetts, and into the top corner of the net to make it 3-0.

Seargeant’s side weren’t done there though, and added a fourth just six minutes before full-time. As with Brobbel, Hudson also grabbed a second of the night, sending another header into the back of the net from close range.

The visitors were able to claw one back in the second minute of stoppage time, but Paulo Mendes’ strike proved nothing more than a consolation, on what was a comfortable afternoon for The New Saints.