Home » Valuable win for Ammanford

Valuable win for Ammanford

IT was all smiles again at Windmill Lane on Saturday (Aug 31) as Ammanford picked up a valuable away win at the home of Llantwit Major.

Manager Gruff Harrison will be well pleased with his team’s performance.

The win was well deserved and I don’t think the most ardent home supporters would disagree.

The game got off to a great start when after 9 minutes, Ammanford striker Lee Trundle broke free and unleashed a rasping shot that beat the outstretched dive of the home Goalkeeper and struck the back of the net with some venom! The home defence could only look on and admire the finish.

Ammanford were in control of the game despite the blustery conditions.

The home side found it difficult to break the shackles of the Ammanford midfield and defence.

Ammanford, with Trundle, Frater, Jones and Martin were always a threat on the counter attack.

The home side’s best chance of an equaliser came ten minutes before the break when a long range shot flashed over the visitors crossbar.

Ammanford played into the wind in the second half and continued to control the pace of the game.

Ricky Martin and Gavin Jones with the support from the Ammanford full backs Mathew Jones and Richard Lewis were causing their opponents problems.

online casinos UK

A Craig Frater long range effort almost caught the home Goalkeeper out, but the ball bounced to safety over the crossbar.

Gavin Jones came close as his effort from close range hit the crossbar.

Ammanford midfielders Dale Jones and Ben Soal were finding space away from their markers and in the 63rd minute it was Ben Soal who hit a speculative 35-yard screamer of a shot which dipped and swerved in the blustery wind.

The Llantwit Goalkeeper got right underneath the ball and slightly misjudged the flight and deflected the ball onto the underside of the crossbar and over his goal line. The Assistant Referee raised his flag immediately to signal the goal!

Ammanford were totally in the box seat of this game and seemed to be cruising towards victory.

However in the 68th minute Ammanford’s Centre Back Nick Glendon misjudged his tackle and was adjudged to have brought down his man on the edge of his penalty area.

It was Glendon’s second yellow card of the game and he saw the referee brandish his red card.

Ammanford, now down to ten men, had to regroup and sacrificed forward Craig Frater for defender Nich Arnold.

Further Ammanford substitutes were made with Bruno Forkouh and Tristan Jenkins coming on.

Llantwit Major saw a chink of light and pushed forward looking to get themselves back in the game.

Lee Trundle settled any late nerves in the 80th when he controlled the ball and  pushed it in front of him then rocketed in his second goal of the game.

Llantwit Major to their credit never gave up and forced Ammanford Goalkeeper Craig Morris into making some fine saves.

The home team did eventually get a consolation goal in the 91st minute when a low cross was played across the Ammanford six yard area and was turned into the Ammanford net.

At the final whistle it was a joyous Ammanford team and their travelling support that were celebrating.

Ammanford entertain Cwmbran Celtic at home on Saturday, September 7.