Home » Woman threatens to kill sister with razor blades, citing previous imprisonment
Crime Crime National News Vale of Glamorgan

Woman threatens to kill sister with razor blades, citing previous imprisonment

A distressing incident unfolded when Caitlin Evans, a 24-year-old resident of Barry, contacted the helpline Meic Cymru on 15th May. During the call, Evans informed the operator that she possessed two razor blades and expressed her intention to kill her own sister. She emphasised the seriousness of her threat by stating, “I have been to prison and will go again, I will kill her.”

Alarmed by the call, the operator promptly notified the authorities, believing that Evans posed a significant danger not only to herself but also to others. Responding to the report, the police dispatched officers to locate Evans, who was ultimately found on Westgate Street in Cardiff.

During the encounter, Evans made further incriminating statements to the officers. According to prosecutor Emily Jermin, she declared, “I am going to my sister’s house to kill her, you don’t need to know.” Underscoring her resolve, she ominously added, “I have been to prison and will go again, I will kill her.”

The police detained Evans and conducted a search, discovering the two razor blades, still enclosed in their protective plastic coating. Despite initial resistance and an attempt to flee, Evans was eventually subdued and placed in handcuffs. Once she had calmed down, the handcuffs were removed, allowing her to reveal that she had harmed herself.

Evans, residing on Glenbrook Drive, pleaded guilty to charges of threats to kill and possession of a bladed article. The court learnt that she had previously been convicted twice, once for possessing a blade and another time for harassing a former partner.

In a victim personal statement, the defendant’s sister expressed her deep concerns and fears. Recounting past incidents, she disclosed, “This incident left me feeling anxious as she has threatened her ex-partner before and sent me a photo of a knife she planned to use. She demonstrated her intention, and I fear she will carry this intention out on me.” Describing her sister as impulsive, she expressed worries about the safety of herself and her young family, noting that Evans seemed indifferent to the harm she could cause to those she is supposed to love.

During the court proceedings, defence attorney Jonathan Webb provided some context, describing the incident as “a cry for help.” He explained that Evans was struggling with mental health issues and had been sectioned under the Mental Health Act the day before, following a paracetamol overdose.

In the subsequent sentencing, Judge Niclas Parry referred to the case as deeply troubling. He conveyed a message to Evans, stating, “You will one day learn your family love you and don’t mean you any harm but are terrified by what you are saying and hearing about what you have been doing.”

Evans received a sentence of 16 months in prison, along with a restraining order prohibiting her from contacting her sister for a period of five years.