BRIDGEND County Borough Council has deferred a decision on a controversial housing development.
The site at Coed Parc Park Street, Bridgend, was previously granted planning permission for nine houses, on land based 1km west of the town centre.
However, Park Tree Homes has requested a number of changes to the plans, including extra bedrooms in the roof space of the houses, as well as a wider range of house types at the site.
Additionally, the developer requested to reposition the garages to allow for at least three parking spaces on the properties, along with adding a variety of finishes, and in some cases terrace areas, to the houses that would be built there.
The report read: “As well as there being more of a variety of finishes and designs, the ‘A’ house types will incorporate first-floor terrace areas accessed from the master bedroom.
“All house types will also incorporate two bedrooms in the roof space (one with en-suite bathroom) with roof lights to the rear roof slopes and a flat-roofed dormer addition to the front elevation overlooking the internal cul-de-sac.”
The proposals left councillors at the monthly planning meeting on August 7 in a state of frustration as they listened to the latest iteration, following what has been a lengthy planning process dating back to 2017, leaving many to ask if they would still be discussing them this time next year.
Members who spoke at the meeting raised a number of issues with the application, which included objections from Bridgend Town Council, as well as concerns from neighbouring residents who feared there would be a loss of privacy with balconied houses overlooking them.
There were also issues with the additional bedrooms in the roof spaces, which led to questions over the potential increase in the number of residents, and how infrastructure such as parking, road safety and waste services would cope.
However, this was addressed by officers, who said the developer is within its rights to apply for the changes, and noted the additional bedrooms would still meet with regulations.
After the debate, members felt more information was required before they could make a decision, particularly when it came to the finish of the properties, and the additions of bigger windows and terraces.
Speaking on behalf of Bridgend Town Council, Councillor David Unwin said: “These spasmodic applications for variations and outright alterations have been going on now for a over a seven-year period and one wonders whether this development in whatever final form will ever be completed, leaving doubt hanging over the head of local, long-established residents in the surrounding streets for years to come.”
The proposal was deferred to a meeting of the committee next month, while they learn more about the site lines at the development, as well as what constitutes a two or three-floor house.