Dispersal order issued for Cwmbran town centre after arrest of nine teens
GWENT POLICE have confirmed that they have arrested nine teenagers on suspicion of violent disorder after emergency calls stating that they were carrying weapons.
Armed police were sent to the Wern Road area of Sebastopol at about 3pm on Saturday afternoon (May 22), it has been confirmed.
A 24-hour dispersal order has been issued for Cwmbran Town Centre.
The dispersal order is now in effect and will be in place until 5.15pm tomorrow, Monday 24 May.
The order covers the area shown on the map including Cwmbran Town Shopping Centre and Cwmbran Retail Park.
The police said on Facebook: “This appears to be an isolated incident involving local youths. We have made a number of arrests and officers will be maintaining a visible presence in the area this evening to provide reassurance.”
Chief Superintendent Mark Hobrough said it appeared to be an isolated incident and the “behaviour would not be tolerated”.
The Chief-Super said that said no-one appeared to have been hurt in the incident, and armed police had been sent as a precautionary measure after the force received “multiple calls from the public reporting a group of youths armed with weapons”.
“We have made a number of arrests and officers will be maintaining a visible presence in the area this evening to provide reassurance.
“This type of behaviour will not be tolerated by Gwent Police and we will take action against anyone intent on causing harm in our communities.
“We’d ask that parents ensure they know where their children are at all times, particularly while the dispersal order is in effect.”
The teenagers arrested remain in police custody.
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Abergeirw: The last village in Wales to get electricity by Doug Evans
- Wales U20 name side to face Italy in group decider by James Hemingray
- A Big Wild Summer with RSPB Cymru by Cerys Lafferty
- Two Welsh Ambulance staff cycling from Cardiff to Paris by James Hemingray
- Star Wars: Why the Millennium Falcon was built here in Wales by Doug Evans
- Premier League clubs RANKED by popularity across social media by Owen Harries