Home » Haverfordwest County reach European play-off final after beating Met on penalties
22Sport Pembrokeshire

Haverfordwest County reach European play-off final after beating Met on penalties

HAVERFORDWEST COUNTY are through to the JD Cymru Premier play-off final after they beat Cardiff Met on penalties on Saturday night (May 6).

The Bluebirds will now play Newtown in the final next Saturday, with the winner going on to the qualifying rounds for the Europa Conference League.

The game finished 0-0 after 90 minutes but the game was not without incident.

After an even start it was the home side who forced the first save as Jones denied a 25-yard effort.

Dylan Rees then also took aim from distance but he was denied by the Met keeper.

Jordan Davies saw a couple of efforts go wide but when the half time whistle went it was still 0-0.

In the 72nd minute the home side were awarded a penalty. Eliot Evans stepped up to take but Zac Jones made an excellent save to keep the Bluebirds level.

Jack Wilson then saw a shot saved by Met keeper Alex Lang.

In extra time Zac Jones made another good save to push the ball behind for a corner.

The sides could not find a winner in extra time and it meant they would have to be separated via a penalty shoot out.

online casinos UK

Kyle McCarthy took the first penalty for the home side but Jones made an excellent save once again.

Ex-Met player and Bluebirds captain Dylan Rees took the first penalty for his side, burying his spot kick in the bottom corner.

Lewis Rees was next for Met but Jones made another excellent stop to put the Bluebirds firmly in the driving seat.

Jack Leahy then thumped his penalty in off the underside of the bar for a 2-0 lead.

CJ Craven then scored the Met’s first goal of the shootout before Jordan Davies scored to make it 3-1.

Sam Jones scored for the Met before Henry Jones had his penalty saved by Alex Lang, leaving the score at 3-2.

Met’s Veale scored to level the spot kicks but it was now down to the final spot kick.

Elliot Duggan fired his spot kick in to send Haverfordwest to the final.