Home » Neyland win to send Tish down as Fishguard survive
22Sport Pembrokeshire

Neyland win to send Tish down as Fishguard survive

Fletcher Picton came off the bench and scored a hat trick against Tish

THERE were contrasting fortunes in Division 1 on Saturday (Apr 8) as Fishguard secured their Division 1 status for another season while St Ishmaels were relegated to the second division.

Ahead of the game, Tish knew they needed to win and hope that Fishguard didn’t for them to avoid the drop. Fishguard were also keen on getting a victory which would keep them up.

Tish came up against a Neyland side who had already finished secured their Division 1 place for season 2023/24 but were looking to finish on a high.

It was a close game with only Neyland’s Corey Richards’ strike separating the two sides at the break.

The game suddenly sprang to life in the 70th minute though as sub Fletcher Picton, fresh from turning out for Llangwm Youth at the Principality the day before, scored to double Neyland’s lead.

Brennan Devonald then pulled a goal back for Tish five minutes later and they had hopes of turning the game around.

online casinos UK

However, Neyland continued to attack and a Max Bowman-Davies cross narrowly evaded Picton before Aidan Rees saw a shot pushed wide for a corner.

Tish then attempted to play out from the back and Picton stole in but his effort was also saved by the Tish keeper.

Their pressure finally told as Picton crossed into the box for Rees to score to make it 3-1.

And just a minute later it was four as Neyland cleared the ball upfield and Picton, who had spotted the Tish keeper coming out to try and claim the ball, lobbed the ball over him and into the net.

With six minutes to go Neyland made it five as Bowman-Davies’ cross was poked in at the near post by Picton who completed his hat trick.

That win saw Fishguard stay up as they earned a 1-1 draw at home against Monkton. Dylan Davies put the Swifts ahead in the 13th minute but Jared Gethin equalised ten minutes later to level the game.

Neither side could find a winner and it meant that both sides would have to settle for a point.

On Thursday, April 13, Neyland travel to Carew and then face another away game on Saturday, April 15, against Kilgetty.

Monkton are in action on Tuesday, April 11, as they face Kilgetty in the semi-final of the Senior Cup. They then face Goodwick United at home on Saturday, April 15.