Home » Wilde’s treble sends Nomads top
Football Sport

Wilde’s treble sends Nomads top

Michael Wilde scores the first of his three goals. Photo by Nik Mesney/ NCM Media

MICHAEL WILDE scored a hat trick for Connah’s Quay Nomads on Saturday (Apr 24) as he helped his side to a 4-1 win over TNS at Park Hall.

The win sends the Nomads top of the table and puts them three points clear of their title rivals.

The game was just seven minutes old when the first goal went in as Declan Poole crossed into the box for Michael Wilde to head home.

Ryan Brobbel looked to get the home side back level just a minute later but his shot was deflected over the bar.

On 16 minutes Adrian Cieslewicz made space for himself on the edge of the box but he sent his shot just wide of the right hand post.

Danny Redmond then sent a cross into the middle of the box where Louis Robles was waiting but his header was excellently saved by Nomads keeper Oliver Byrne.

The resulting corner saw Blaine Hudson head over as the home side continued to search for the equaliser.

They were rewarded for their play on 23 minutes as the ball was played to Brobbel in the box and after making his way past a couple of defenders he sent a low shot into the bottom left corner of the net.

With half an hour gone the Nomads regained the lead with a well-worked goal.

The home side cleared the ball but only as far as Kris Owens in the middle of the TNS half. He sent a cross to the left hand side of the box for Danny Davies who headed down towards goal and Wilde got to the ball first to poke it home for his second of the game.

With seven minutes to go until half time Brobbel again went close but his shot was inches wide of the left hand post.

Two minutes of stoppage time were added at the end of the first half and with the clock just ticking over 47 minutes, the Nomads grabbed their third goal of the game.

John Disney sent the ball into the box and Wilde was in the right place to head home and complete his hat trick.

It was a hammer blow to the home side who would have hoped to have gone in at half time with just the one goal-deficit.

But with the score at 3-1 the hosts knew that an early goal in the second half but get them right back in the game.

However, it was the Nomads who enjoyed more of the ball in the early stages of the second half and TNS’ only chance came when Blaine Hudson sent a header harmlessly wide.

And on 56 minutes, Oliver Byrne sent he ball forward and after captain Chris Marriot headed the ball back towards his own goal, Jamie Insall reacted quickest to latch on to the ball and fire in to make it 4-1 to the Nomads.

That all but ended TNS’ hopes of getting back into the game but the hosts continued to attack with half an hour still to play.

The hosts won a number of free kicks and corners but the Nomads defended well.

Danny Redmond was played in by Cieslewicz with just over ten minutes left but he fired the ball over the bar.

With nine minutes left Blaine Hudson was played on but after he was bundled over the referee pointed to the spot.

Sub Greg Draper stepped up to take the penalty but Byrne made a good save before kicking the ball away from danger.

Ryan Brobbel sent another shot wide of the posts late on but the hosts knew that the game had got away from them.

The game was brought to a close leaving the Nomads to celebrate an excellent win.