Home » Hard fought derby ends all square

Hard fought derby ends all square

CWMAMMAN UNITED and Ynysygerwn fought out a fierce local derby under the lights that ended up with the points shared.

The last time the club’s first teams had met at Grenig Park they were both in the Neath league and both sides, especially Cwm, were looking for vital points in their relegation battle while Ynys were seeking to move towards the top three meaning it was always going to be well contested.

It was a match of contrasting styles with the bigger more physical Ynys side using long throws and firing balls up the line while Cwm relied on quicker passing and trying to release their wingers.

As has been the case for a number of games this season Cwm created some early strong chances which saw Travis James have a header well saved while a lob from way out by Kyle Ashford almost caught the keeper out as it drifted past the post.

The high ball paid dividends fairly early for Ynys in the 10th minute when a flick on header from a corner was seized upon as Charlie Farrell steered the ball home.

With both sides continuing to play forward with intent Ryan Hurlow was unlucky to make a great run into the box but not quite get enough connection to beat the keeper.

Just before half time, in the 42nd minute, Cwm got a deserved equaliser when again from a corner the ball fell to Calem Rees who had an excellent game throughout and he calmly hammered it home.

The second half was a quieter affair chance wise but with plenty of hard tackles as both defences took control and for Cwmamman Luke Sherbon was outstanding at the heart of the defence forming a strong partnership with captain Gareth Howarth.

The final minutes saw Cwm have two great opportunities to take the win with Hurlow firing over the bar as the ball fell loose and a strong Ryan Thomas header forcing a great save from Ynys keeper Luke Jones.

In summary a well earned point for Cwm against a strong Ynysygerwn side but they will regret that they didn’t quite close it off for three.

With just three games left Cwm’s next fixture is scheduled to be away to AFC Porth on April 23.