Home » High-flying Aber dispatch Athletic

High-flying Aber dispatch Athletic

Lineout: Athletic overthrow to Aber hands (Pic @SueBows)
Lineout: Athletic overthrow to Aber hands (Pic @SueBows)
Lineout: Athletic overthrow to Aber hands (Pic @SueBows)

League Two West

Aberystwyth 22

Carmarthen Athletic 0

ABERYSTWYTH consolidated their top two position with an excellent performance against Carmarthen Athletic.

The corresponding fixture at Carmarthen Park in October had been a fairly one-sided win for Aber, but the Athletic have seen the return of several players to their ranks recently, resulting in a succession of good results and suggesting much improved performances.

The first 20 minutes of the game were dominated by a series of questionable refereeing decisions, and after some dissent, warnings were issued to those who stepped out of line.

There had been a significant period of Aberystwyth looking threatening deep inside the visitors’ half, but that came to an end three minutes into the second quarter when the referee kept his word and issued a yellow card to the home side, reducing them to 14 men for the next ten minutes. The penalties kept coming and in the 31st minute Aber were reduced in numbers again, down to 13.

Despite being reduced in numbers, the hosts got the first score as they made their way to the line where lock Lee Evans touched down, a conversion on the halftime whistle meant they went in with a 7-0 interval lead.

Aber started the second half just as they had ended the first and within four minutes of the restart centre Steff Rees won a chase up the left hand edge of the field to claim Aber’s second try.

The home side got their third try in the 73rd minute when replacement back Myles Hamilton touched down.

online casinos UK

Time seemed to be running out for any further scoring but the home side were fully aware that just one more try would bring a valuable bonus point. Another kick and chase saw that goal achieved in the 77th minute when the Kiwi Hamilton claimed his brace and Aber’s victory was complete.