Home » Otters well beaten at The Park

Otters well beaten at The Park

Pic: Michelle Dare
Pic: Michelle Dare
Pic: Michelle Dare


Bargoed 50

Narberth 20

BARGOED put in an outstanding display securing a bonus point within half an hour and going on to outscore Narberth by eight tries to two.

The home side opened the scoring after just 10 minutes with wing Gareth Dare turning the defence inside out on a powerful run from the half way before handing off the final defender and setting the ball up for number eight Ross Coombes to cross in the corner. Matthew Hurley’s conversion drifted wide.

Narberth replied with penalty from centre Nick Gale to make it 5-3 at the end of the first quarter.

The Blues’ second try came from a line out on the Narberth twenty two following a long Jordan Purcell clearing kick.

Ross Coombes stole the ball on the Narberth throw in and the ball was moved quickly across the backs with centre Ashley Norton straightening and making ground before unloading to Lewis Hudd coming in on a great angle from his wing and over he went for an unconverted try.

Bargoed’s third came from a trade mark Leigh Meades burst through the middle of a ruck with Grant Rogers on his shoulder and the flanker crossed under the posts. Hurley added the extras and Bargoed looked comfortable at 17-3.

The bonus point try came just before the half hour with Bargoed attacking following a strong marauding run from prop Kieron Brown. Otters wing Kieron Jones attempted an interception with Bargoed having a clear two man overlap 25 metres out, Jones knocked on and to everyone’s surprise Brynamman referee Peter Evans went under the posts for a generous penalty try with Jones going to the bin, adding insult to injury. Hurley converted and Gale kicked another penalty to make it 24-6 at half time.

online casinos UK

Bargoed extended their lead 9 minutes into the second half. Narberth had a defending scrum but were turned over and Lewis Hudd got his second, again coming off his wing with Hurley putting over the kick to take the score to 31-6.

Impressive Narberth number 8 Callum Tree got the Otters first try of the afternoon on the hour converted by Gale but the Blues hit back immediately with try number 6 following a catch and drive from a lineout on the Narberth twenty two, Leigh Meades coming up with the ball and the forwards repeated the trick minutes later, prop Rhys Morgan this time getting the armchair ride to make it 43-13 with Hurley’s conversion.

Replacement scrum half Matthew Hutcheon was harshly shown a yellow card for not releasing in a tackle on the half way with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Narberth took full advantage with Liam Hutchings crossing and Gale adding the extras before Bargoed finished the game off in style.

Purcell fielded a long kick and ran back at the Otters’ midfield, Hurley took it on with replacement hooker Lewis Lippiett in support, Lewis Weyman, fresh off the bench took the ball at pace and ran in from 25 metres for a superb score. Hurley put over his fifth conversion and the game ended 50-20.